Dreams & Detours
#1... A Mother's Gift
Merylin Vega-Rivera, mother of SqSm 9th grader Francisco, created a FaceBook page to spread this message:
“SquashSmarts helps kids emotionally, mentally, and they look after the Children's Health...
I'm so happy for my son and this wonderful program because being a single and disabled mom it’s hard for me to be able to spend time like I wish I could with my son...
Thanks to this program my son stays out of trouble and gets out of the house to have fun... Please Donate.
#2... A Global Voice
In August, SqSm Community Impact Director Nabilla Ariffin was 1 of 20 young leaders invited to Lake Como, Italy by the International Youth Foundation, Carnegie Mellon University and Rockefeller Foundation to discuss 17 U.N. Global Sustainability Development Goals.
Last week, Nabilla was the sole non-profit representative invited to a round-table at the Brookings Institute in Washington, D.C. to continue the conversation with city officials from around the U.S..
This Friday, Nabilla will host I.Y.F. President Susan Reichle during YouthBuild's Global Opportunity Summit in Philadelphia addressing youth unemployment.
Finally, the London-based International Youth Federation named Nabilla its Director for Bureau of Sports - a voluntary post connecting innovative sports leaders around the globe!
“Global change happens locally,” says Ariffin, “and each opportunity is a unique chance for me to showcase SquashSmarts' high-quality, high-impact work with kids.”
Press Release Here
#3... Intense Academics
Did You Know SquashSmarts Academic Directors:
- Teach a year-round curriculum?
- Run two academic sessions per day, 5 days per week?
- Meet with every child's parent, teacher and counselor?
- Give bus/subway tokens to high school students for every practice?
- Pick up and drive middle school students from school every day?
- Collect, track and discuss report cards with every child?
- Manage college placement, SAT and financial aid for every 12th graders?
- Manage high school placement for every 8th grader?
- Rely on 90+ volunteers to tutor students in our classrooms?
- Oversee two national academic essay contests?
- Support 70+ alumni through college, career and financial counseling?
- Organize 80+ summer opportunities for our student-athletes?
4... 2019 Pierce Junior Squash Tournament
89 kids from Washington state to Washington, D.C. gathered last weekend at SqSm for the 2018 Pierce Junior Silver, a US Squash-sanctioned tournament named in honor of the Pierce family and created to promote access and friendly competition among new, up-and-coming squash players.
5... SquashSmarts in Tennessee?
SquashSmarts 'flew south for the winter' thanks to Scenic City Squash Club Director Richard Millman who hired SqSm 7-year graduate Jose Rupert-Zayas to help create and coach four new school programs in Chattanooga, TN.
Check Out Jose's First Lesson